Law 312 - Professional Responsibility
Steven K. Derian
M.A. California State University, Long Beach, 1978
J.D. UC Hastings, 1983
This course deals with the law and ethics of lawyering; that is, the standards of law and the ethics that lawyers are held to (or aspire to) in their professional roles. We will study such matters as the duty to conform to the law external to the professional ethics rules, the duty to represent clients competently, the duty of confidentiality, duties to the court, conflicts of interest, the nature of the lawyer-client relationship, and the nature of the legal profession itself.
1) Develop a working knowledge and understanding of the ABA's Model Rules of Professional Conduct.
2) Develop a working knowledge and understanding of case law interpreting those Rules and other rules that govern lawyer conduct.
3) Develop the ability to apply the Model Rules and the case law to a variety of situations that are likely to occur in practice, including situations that require the application and interpretation of two or more related Rules.
4) Develop the ability to apply the Model Rules and the case law to hypothetical situations that are likely to be tested on the MPRE.
5) Develop a working knowledge of the differences between the Model Rules and the California's New Rules of Professional Conduct.
6) Develop the ability to apply those California Rules that differ from the Model Rules to situations that are likely to occur in practice.
|Steven Derian||20F||312||LEC 1||MW 3:30 PM - 4:55 PM||3.0||No||No|
|Textbook for Fall 2020 LEC 1|
Zitrin, Cole, and Casey. Legal Ethics in the Practice of Law 5th ed.
ISBN: 9781531009182. Carolina Academic Press. REQUIRED $200.96
Morgan, Thomas D. Model Rules of Professional Conduct and Other Selected Standards Including California and New York Rules on Professional Responsibility 2020 ed.
ISBN: 9781642429428. Foundation Press. OPTIONAL $56.06